Sunday, February 11, 2007

Base training and my moment of pure genious

For those of you unfamiliar with endurance sports, the fundamental aspect of training is improving your basic aerobic base. The concept being that if you build a bigger engine, you’ll go faster, rather than trying to fine tune a smaller engine (i.e. high intensity training).

So, not having had a consistent schedule all weekend, my plan was to do some good base training this weekend. I took Friday night off, but I got started early on Saturday, the following chronicles my training regimen:

Saturday:
~ 4:45 am, wake up, time to strengthen the lungs, cough heavily several times, it hurts, in fact, it burns like hell, no pain, no gain. Even though this doesn’t seem like a good workout, I was totally burning up. So I needed to get up and get some water.

~5:00 am – 7:00 am – Core Strengthening. It’s also a known fact that triathletes benefit from strong abs since it prevents injury and assists in swimming, biking and running. For two hours I tossed and turned in bed, again, it doesn’t seem strenuous, but I was still burning up again.

~7:00 am – 10:00 am – Early to mid-morning nap, I figured I needed to let my body recover from my workout.

Since I am not in that good of shape, I took it easy the rest of the day, tired from my workout, in fact, I slept about 3 hours that afternoon.

Sunday:
~ 5:30 am – Time to get back at it, start the lung training, taking deep breaths to induce violent coughs, this lasts for about a good 10 minutes. I work up a good sweat, again.

~6:00 am – 7:30 am – More tossing and turning, I mean core strengthening. I think the visualizations (nightmares) I was having allowed me to reach a zen moment and consistently keep this workout going for about an hour and a half. For some strange reason I was having this weird visualization about being stuck in an endless system of healthcare that made no sense and never seemed to indicate me getting over this supposed bout of walking pneumonia. Funny that, how strange!

~ 7:30 – 10:00 am – From the lung workouts and core strengthening, I was wiped, so I took another mid morning nap. I really fell into a deep sleep, and my body decided that even though it’s winter, it needed to condition itself for summer. What am I referring to, well sweating. I usually sweat much more in the summer than in the winter, but my body wanted to get a head start. So, I spent the next 2.5 hours sweating profusely while sleeping. I’m a frickin’ genius, I’ve mastered training and resting at the same exact moment. Take that Tasha, I dare you to come up with some technology that can beat that!!

Although I have the rest of the day ahead of me, I’m happy with my training volume for the weekend, I think I’ll take the rest of the day off….